WPAC Fibre Study: British Columbia Pellets are Responsibly Sourced

Wood pellets in British Columbia are sourced entirely from sawmill and harvest residuals or low-quality logs and bush grind rejected by other industries.

This 2022 study showed that the pellet industry sources an estimated 85 percent of its fibre from the by-products of the sawmills and allied industries. The remaining 15 percent is supplied directly from forests and includes low-quality logs (11 percent) and bush grind (4 percent).

Commissioned by the Wood Pellet Association of Canada they report was written by forest experts and Registered Professional Foresters, Professor Gary Bull, Dr. Jeremy Williams, Dr. Jim Thrower and Mr. Brad Bennett who analyzed government and industry databases, confidential commercial data, and audit reports and conducted personal interviews with individual pellet plant operators and local communities.

Read the factsheet to the left or dive into the full report to the right.